Friday, August 21, 2009

A Friday Find

I was doing some blog hopping the other day and stumbled across a fantastic blog. Bakerella, did not go to school to be a pastry chef. Per her profile, she took a cake decorating class that sparked her interest and appears to be entirely self taught since then. Very impressive, considering the kinds of goods she turns out. She even made an appearance on the Martha Stewart Show! Check out these adorable apple cake pops! Her instructions are clear and broken down into easy to understand steps. I can't wait to try some of her ideas! (And, holy cow! Look at where she gets her supplies! I think that's decorating heaven.)

I had plans at one time to attend Johnson and Wales University in Charlotte, NC to study Baking and Pastry Arts, however events led us back home putting school on hold. It was difficult giving up that dream, but now that we have our three beautiful children and a restaurant in the works it's clear to me that this was my real dream all along, being a wife and mother. Baking and cake decorating will always be my ultimate hobby though, and it's wonderful to see that even without that university education I can develop the skill to produce some beautiful edibles.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Ok, I just spent the last 30 minutes poking around that woman's site. Heaven! I certainly wouldn't complain if some petit fours or apple pops or something similarly adorable just magically appeared on my birthday... ;)

mellanie said...

I just checked out that woman's site, too. I wonder what fun ideas I can find to dress up the cupcakes i plan to make in a couple weeks...

dark chocolate icing on dark chocolate cupcakes could use some kind of added vibrant color...

Karen said...

mmmmm, dark chocolate. and I vote for white and light blue to brighten them up. such a pretty combo.

mellanie said...

white and carolina blue would be perfect! what should they say? (anything but 3-0 would be acceptable)