Friday, March 27, 2009

More on baking bread

At the request of a friend, I recorded the process of forming the dough into a ball and then into a loaf.
At this point in the process, my dough had already risen and been separated into 2 portions. The way that I'm forming the dough ball here is the same technique you will use to form the dough for the first rise, and also if you desire to make dinner rolls or hamburger buns. (Though you will want to pinch the bottom of the dough ball together tightly and roll it around to smooth out wrinkles on the bottom.)

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Nice! You should post a regular "Cooking with Karen" segment...heh.

mellanie said...

thanks, cabby! it makes much more sense now. did i tell u that i finally learned how to make biscuits ... and they don't turn out like rock cakes?

Karen said...

I'm still working on a good biscuit recipe, myself. Seeing as how I try to cook and bake with as little dairy as possible (using substitutes.) But biscuits provide a challenge, since they require large amounts of butter and milk to be extra tasty. I made a batch on Monday that were decent, they made a good enough egg white sandwich, but I'll probably have to work out a recipe for me and then one for the rest of the family. No sense in depriving them all of that buttery goodness.

mellanie said...

I understand...though, my technique still needs work. my last batch of biscuits turned out as oddly shaped fluffy white things. too much flour, i think. i made daniel swear to me that he would NOT tell his mother about the misshapen batch that came out of my oven.