Friday, March 20, 2009

Mind over clutter

Deep in the trenches of clearing out our spare room, I found this blog post encouraging me to do what I know needs to be done. Just get rid of it already!

A dear friend came over yesterday and helped me clear out the spare closet. I had been dreading this task for a year, at least. The longer I put off doing it, the bigger the undertaking seemed to be. We were sitting in the room, discussing all the changes to be made and de-cluttering still to do, and I mentioned my anxiety over clearing out the closet. After taking a quick a look and pronouncing that it wouldn't be as bad as I was expecting, she pulled out a single item and said, "What would you do with this?" Good Will, I said. She dropped it in the box, and stepped back to the closet for another item. Attic, was the determination and in the box it went. In the course of the next 30-40 minutes we had filled up 2 bags of trash and allocated all remaining items to their appropriate sorting boxes. I think I knew all along that the job wasn't as overwhelming as it seemed to be, I just needed some help getting started.

"Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task."
-William James

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Cleaning out the closets and all the other preps I have been going through are exhausting, but we are getting them done! The fact that I can see the floor in all our closets now, that I condensed two full closets into one, that Shelby and Joey have bedrooms now that look like their bedrooms...it's been a great reward! I know you'll get through it!

mellanie said...

Sounds like I need to find a friend to pick up every object in my garage, hold it up, and ask me, "Do you need this?"

Hmm...I wonder who I could entice to come over and help with such a task... food could probably be a good bribe; it usually is.

:)