Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Stamping

I've been wanting to do some stamping with the kids for a while, but we haven't had any stamps to work with. We have some sponge shapes but they soak up a ton of paint and are easy to smear.  Today I was looking through my kids craft drawer and came upon a large assortment of foam stickers. I had heard somewhere of these being used as stamps so I decided to give it a go.


I grabbed a handful of craft sticks (bought in packs of 100 at the Dollar Tree) and started applying the stickers. I used glue to help them adhere really well and glued a second layer of sticks on the back for added strength and thickness.


These pictures were obviously taken after our stamping adventure.  We used washable paint that we applied with paintbrushes.  A stamp pad would probably be neater and give a clearer image, but we didn't have any washable stamp pads. Addie loved painting the stamps though and Ana was happy to simply paint with a brush on her paper. It worked out well for us this way.  The images come out well if you don't slop on the paint (definitely don't dip the stamp into paint, it will smear everywhere.)


This was a great activity that everyone, (even Mommy!), really enjoyed doing.  

4 comments:

CygnetMommy said...

You are so brave to paint with two four-year-olds and a two-year-old!! I'm hesitant even with a seven-year-old!!

Carrie and Andrew Rogers said...

Awesome Idea!! I am bum when it comes to ideas and doing things with the kids..I am amazed and jealous how you manage everything!

Jen said...

So cute! How did Gabe feel about the project? Poor lone little boy... Heh.

Karen said...

I have a thin vinyl mat that I spread out over our kitchen island. We do all our painting, gluing, and play dough projects on that. It makes clean up SO much easier. It also makes me more willing to attempt projects that can cause a bigger mess. As long as everyone can participate in a way they enjoy (even if it's not doing the actual activity) then I'm happy.

Gabe is also content to simply paint with a brush and paper. Getting him to paint at all makes me happy, he's not that into crafts. Though he does love finger painting.