Monday, December 19, 2011

She's Here!

I woke early in the morning on 12/8 with labor pains that were regular, though 10-15 minutes apart.  I progressed slowly through the morning, hovering between 8 and 10 minutes apart for several hours. The pace picked up quickly right around the kids quiet time though and we headed off to the hospital.  A quick check determined that I was 4.5 cm dilated and we would be staying!  We were quite happy to hear that after a few false starts.

 They didn't have a labor room for me, so we spent a few hours in the small room where they determine if you're actually in labor or not.  My contractions started getting harder and we were having a hard time figuring out how to help me cope.  By the time they moved me to the labor room I had progressed to 7cm and was entering transition.  I asked for an epidural at that point and thankfully the anesthesiologist was right next door. The epidural worked better on one side that the other and never really got a chance to take full effect, 45 minutes later I was ready to push.  8 minutes later our healthy, beautiful baby girl was born!


Named for my sister, Margaret Jade was born at 8:22pm on the feast of the Immaculate Conception.  I had a special devotion to St. Anne during my pregnancy so it seems rather fitting that Mara be born on the day that celebrates Anne's conception of Mary.  Her nickname, Mara, means "Mary" in Hebrew.


She weighed in at 8lbs 5oz, our largest baby by far!   


In the past week and a half she has proven to be a wonderfully cuddly baby, with eyes like deep pools, and the ability to make everyone coo adoringly. 


Her brother and sisters are absolutely enthralled with her.  They're quick to go to her when she cries, and offer help whenever asked. 


Gabe seems especially taken, coming to her several times a day to give her cuddles and kisses saying, "I love you, baby,"


Our parents have been wonderful, coming almost every day to help out as we all adjust to daily life with a newborn.  The frequent lack of sleep can be painful, but mostly we're all just adoring this beautiful gift God has given us.  


How truly blessed we are!



No comments: