Friday, August 26, 2011

It's a...

Steve couldn't be with me for the ultrasound appointment so I had the technician write the sex of our baby on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope. Later, I dropped it off at a local bakery and asked them to make me a special cake. A simple two layer, round cake, frosted all in white... but hiding a surprise, blue frosting between the layers if our baby is a boy or pink if the baby is a girl! We met our family at our restaurant the next day for the cake cutting. This was such a fun way to find out and celebrate!

4 comments:

Jen said...

What a brilliant idea! I didn't realize *you* didn't even know the baby's gender -- I figured you had to know in order to instruct the baker. How exciting!

...man, I sure hope the baker didn't get sloppy on this one. "Oh -- where's that envelope? You know, the one the lady dropped off! ...oh well. I've got some extra pink icing to get rid of..."

Karen said...

The bakery gave us back the envelope from the doctors office and I checked afterwards. ;) They actually made the filling strawberry flavored which was a nice, unexpected touch!
They seemed so pleased to be in on the secret. When I went to pick up the cake: "Is this for you? Do you know? OH! This is so exciting!"

mellanie said...

I loved watching that! Thanks for posting!! How exciting!

Conservamom said...

That is such a great idea! So fun to watch!! Congratulations on your newest blessing!