Monday, June 28, 2010

Surprise, Surprise!

We're having a baby! Again! Heh. Though this pregnancy was definitely a surprise, we are excited to meet this newest butterbean. The prospect of having four children under four is certainly daunting, but we trust in the Lord to guide us as we know He doesn't give you more than you can handle.

The reactions from family and friends have been positive. We're so blessed to have such wonderful people around us who not only understand but also respect and support our faith and life choices. (I did have one friend compare me to the Duggar family. Hmm, 4 kids to 19. That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?) But in the sense that we leave the ultimate decisions of children to God, she is correct. (Though, I don't know if the Duggars practice NFP as we do.)

It is still very early in the first trimester, around 6 weeks, so I am deep in the throes of all-day-sickness ("morning" sickness is a joke) and exhaustion. I'm managing fairly well with sleep, going to bed early and trying to nap and rest when the kids are sleeping. I am really struggling with the nausea, though. I have found some tea that seems to be helping, Get Maternal, but it can only do so much. I am trying to snack every two hours or so, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to find foods I am able to eat.

I have suffered from moderate to severe IBS for over a decade now, though I have found ways to manage my symptoms very effectively. Unfortunately, many of the things I have given up eating are the very things recommended for pregnant mothers. I cannot eat ANY type of dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt, etc) or high fat foods (anything fried obviously, but things like egg yolks and avocados, too.) I know my stomach can handle things like crackers and pretzels but, funny enough, their lack of flavor can actually aggravate my nausea. One of the only things I can consistently get down is a toasted bagel with Toffuti Brand Cream Cheese. It's a great snack because it has a decent amount of protein and carbs. Ideally, all my snacks should include those two. I'm having serious problems thinking of other things to eat though! (I would normally say hummus, but the smell and taste are too much for me right now.) Anyone have any ideas?

4 comments:

Carrie and Andrew Rogers said...

Congratulations!!! Soooooo exciting!! Logan has always had his own agenda (that is what I like to say because we got a lot of looks and unwanted opinions.) It will be enjoyable, stressful and beautiful!! This time around I have had a rough time with nausea. I spent a lot of time semi-conscious while the boys wreaked havoc. Now at 14 weeks it is slowly passing..the exhaustion not so much. We will be looking forward to many more updates!! Such a beautiful blessing!

Gran said...

At least now you have your plums!
Glad they help.
Love you all,
Mom

CygnetMommy said...

Well, it looks like my third is due just a little bit after your fourth! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you decided to post this! I am so happy to hear about the positive reactions as well. I have been praying hard for that. No, the Duggars do not practice NFP, they leave everything up to God, including their "vote."